1/2 of a large yellow onion, chopped
3 clove of garlic, diced
1 pound carrots, scrubbed or peeled and chopped (4 cups)
salt and Pepper
2 cups Veggie Stock + 2 cups water
1/3 cup creamy or crunchy salted natural peanut butter
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (I didn’t have this and it was fine without)
Toppings: Fresh basil, cilantro, or mint; coconut milk; brown sugar or honey, Sriracha hot sauce
Coconut or Olive Oil for sautéing
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Dice onion and garlic. Add to pot with 1 Tablespoon oil. Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with a healthy pinch each of salt and pepper then add veggie stock and 2 cups of water and stir.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender (test by cutting a larger piece of carrot in half – it should cut with ease).
- Transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth and creamy. (Cover with a towel in case your lid leaks)
- Add peanut butter and chili garlic sauce to the blender and blend to combine using a ‘puree’ or ‘liquify’ setting if you have it.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. For a touch of added sweetness, add a Tablespoon or so of brown sugar, maple syrup or honey. Add more chili garlic sauce for more heat.
- Serve immediately with fresh basil or herbs of choice. A drizzle of coconut milk will add a creamy, sweet touch. Serve with sriracha for extra heat.
- Adapted from:www. minimalistbaker.com